The 2020 Alto Flute Competition will consist of two rounds.
The first round will be a recording, in mp3 or mp4 format, sent via email or dropbox to the Competition Coordinator, Dr. Chris Potter – email@example.com by September 15th, 2019. She will send your recording (or links to your recording) to the first round panel of three judges. The judges will select six finalists to perform in person at the Japan Festival in March 2020. The finalists will be notified approximately November 1st, 2019 to prepare for the final round. Three winners will be selected to receive the prize money by three final round judges – Peter Sheridan, Sanae Nakayama, Chris Potter.
The entry fee is 10,000 yen. Payment is through PayPal and due with your application September 15th, 2019. Send payment to firstname.lastname@example.org on Paypal . An application form will be available online August 15th, 2019 one month before the submission deadline of September 15th, 2019.
All finalists perform in Japan at their own expense.
First prize is 150,000 yen, second prize is 100,000 yen, third prize is 50,000 yen. Winners will be paid in cash at the festival.
For questions, contact the Competition Coordinator, Dr. Chris Potter email@example.com
Round 1 – recorded round – up to 20 minutes of music
REQUIRED – Ekagra by Kazuo Fukushima – alto flute and piano – Published by Zerboni-Milano.
Pick any combination of these six pieces to add up to 20 minutes or less, including the Fukushima:
- Friedgund Gottsche-Niessner – Walpurgis – solo alto – Publ. by Zimmerman-Frankfurt
- J.S. Bach – Partita in A Minor – Corrente – solo alto (originally c flute, play as written) – any publisher
- Michael Oliva – Threnody – alto with electronics – https://www.tetractys.co.uk/photo_10010237.html
- Andre Jolivet – Asceses #1 – solo alto – Publ. Billaudot
- David Gunn – Lunar Mural 1 – alto with pre-recorded soundtrack – http://davidgunn.org/music/solo/solo_music.html
- Toru Takemitsu – Toward the Sea – alto and guitar – Publ. Schott
Final Round – up to 15 minutes of music
REQUIRED – Misaki no Requiem – Ryohei Hirose – It will be available starting June 1st, 2019 to be purchased as a PDF through Mr. Hirose’s company.
Pick ONE of these three:
- Mike Mower – Night in Greenwich – solo alto – Publ. Itchy Fingers
- Astor Piazzola – Tango Etude #6 – solo alto (originally c flute, play as written) – Publ. Lemoine
- Lowell Liebermann – Eight Pieces – #2 Etude, #5 Hongroise play both – solo alto – Publ. Presser
play an unaccompanied piece of your choice that does not exceed the 15 minute total time limit when combined with the Hirose (approx. 9 minutes).