The Alto Flute Competition Application Form and link to Paypal Payment are now available, see below for Paypal link, and more information.
Three prizes will be awarded. First prize is $1500US, second prize is $1000US and third prize is $500US. Our competition sponsors are Gemeinhardt Musical Instruments, the Flute Pro Shop, Flute World, Theodore Presser Co., Di Zhao Flutes, Altus Flutes, Eva Kingma Flutes, Flute Specialists, Carolyn Nussbaum Music and Tetractys Publishing. Awards will be paid in US dollars. The decision of the judges will be final. Checks will be presented to the winners at the Festival. The finalists must appear at the Festival at their own expense and pay all registration and hotel fees. There is a $50 application fee. The application form, fee and first round recording are due October 10th.
The Alto Flute Competition will have two rounds. The first round can be an mp3 file attached to an email or, a link to a video recording on YouTube or to a dropbox. Both pieces must be on the recording. Send links or email with mp3 attached to email@example.com by October 10th. The competitors who have been selected to move on to the final round will be announced by November 15th, 2017.
The final round will be a live performance of the three selected pieces at the festival (see below for the repertoire selections). A pianist will be provided for the finalists in the second round.
There is a $50 application fee to enter the competition.
The deadline for the first round recordings is October 10th, 2017.
- Alexandra Harwood – Sonatina for Alto Flute and Piano – 3rd mvmt only (Buyou). publ. Progress Press. Recording must include Piano.
- G.P. Telemann – 12 Fantasias for solo flute Fantasia No. 6 in D Minor – Dolce and Allegro mvmts. Be sure to record both movements. Take both repeats in the Dolce, adding ornaments the second time. You will be judged on your ornaments. No preferred publisher.
- Katherine Hoover – Two for Two – alto mvmt What Goes Around – alto and piano – publ. Papagena Press.
- Astor Piazzolla – Tango-Etudes for Solo Flute Etude No. 3 – publ. Henry Lemoine
- Lowell Liebermann – Eight Pieces for Bass Flute, Alto Flute, C Flute or Piccolo. – mvmt 5 Hongroise, mvmt 7 Fanfares both performed on alto – publ. Presser
View this page in another language
Alto Flute Competition Application Form